birding-aus

EPBC Act Compliance (or not! - Mallee Emu-wren)

Subject: EPBC Act Compliance (or not! - Mallee Emu-wren)
From: Fiona Murdoch <>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:19:07 +1000
Hi all
Ironic that this EPBC story came through today

I have just found out that drilling for the Hattah proposed toxic waste dump (NW Victoria) will definitely commence Tuesday 26th October. This is despite the dump still requiring assessment and approval under the EPBC Act, with Mallee Emu-wren one of the controlling provisions. I have notified DEH but this doesn't seem to have done anything. It is beyond me how drilling can commence without assessment of potential impacts.

We know Mallee Emu-wren are on the site (see Sean Dooley 21-10-04), we know they nest and hide in tussocks of Triodia, we know it is currently nesting season. The drilling rig is large (1.2m wide by 2.4m long) and will be traversing untracked mallee with a dense Triodia understory. 34 bore holes are to be established on the 1km by 1.5km site. It seems to me that this would result in disturbance to nesting birds, destruction to nests and possible death of fledglings if the drilling rig is allowed to commence drilling of boreholes on this site during the nesting season.

I included in my submission, communication from Rohan Clarke, Andrew West and Jody Gates (amongst others). Their comments indicated an alarming decline in the abundance of Mallee Emu-wren in recent years; Hattah-Nowingi is a key population; and any habitat that contains Mallee Emu-wren currently is critical habitat.

I have no idea what the next step should be

Regards
Fiona Murdoch
Colignan, Victoria

At 13.50 22/10/2004 +0930, you wrote:
> FYI
> >
> > Subject: FW: EPBC Act Compliance
> >

> > > Below  are details of a recent judgement involving an EPBC Act
> > prosecution
> > > for your information
> > >
> > > Record penalty for illegal clearing of wetland
> > > Gwydir Ramsar Wetlands - Penalty decision
> > > The Federal Court of Australia has imposed a record $450,000 penalty
on
> > > NSW farmer and his company for illegally clearing and ploughing a
> > wetland
> > > of international importance. This is the heaviest penalty yet to be
> > > imposed on an Australian landholder for damage to the environment and
is
> > > the first civil prosecution against a party in relation to a matter of
> > > national environmental significance under the Environment Protection
and
> > > Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
> > > The penalty follows a Federal Court decision of 11 June this year,
which
> > > found that Mr Ronald Greentree and AUEN Grain Pty Ltd had contravened
> > the
> > > EPBC Act as a result of clearing, ploughing and wheat-cropping
> > activities
> > > conducted within the Gwydir Ramsar Wetlands, near Moree, in New South
> > > Wales.
> > > The court fined Mr Greentree $150,000 and his company, AUEN Grain Pty
> > Ltd,
> > > $300,000 for significant impacts caused to the wetlands and awarded
> > costs
> > > to the Australian Government.
> > > The court issued an injunction preventing Mr Greentree from taking any
> > > further agricultural activity on the land, and also from running
> > livestock
> > > on the site until at least 2007. Mr Greentree was also ordered to
> > > rehabilitate the site.
> > > Before and after shots
> > >  <<...OLE_Obj...>>
> > >  <<...OLE_Obj...>>
> > >
> > > The EPBC Act
> > > The EPBC Act was introduced in July 2000. Under the Act, actions that
> > have
> > > or are likely to have a significant impact on the matters of national
> > > environmental significance are prohibited unless prior approval is
> > granted
> > > by the Minister for the Environment and Heritage.
> > > Matters of national environmental significance protected by the EPBC
Act
> > > include:
> > > *   Ramsar wetlands of international importance;
> > > *   nationally threatened animal and plant species and ecological
> > > communities; internationally protected migratory species;
> > > *   world heritage and national heritage places; and
> > > *   Commonwealth marine areas.
> > > The Gwydir Wetlands are one of Australia's 64 Wetlands of
International
> > > Importance, listed under the Ramsar Convention. Ramsar listed sites
are
> > > representative, rare or unique wetlands, and are important for
> > conserving
> > > biological diversity. They provide seasonal breeding and feeding
grounds
> > > for close to 500,000 colonial water birds, including rare and
migratory
> > > birds, such as magpie geese, glossy ibis and brolgas.
> > > Summary of reasons for the Federal Court's decision
> > > In making his decision, Justice Sackville found that Mr Greentree
> > > instructed the farming operations manager of Greentree Farming to
clear
> > > and plough land on the Windella property in preparation for a seed
bed.
> > By
> > > 30 July 2003, virtually the whole of the Ramsar site on Windella had
> > been
> > > cleared and ploughed. By 16 August 2003, approximately 30 percent had
> > been
> > > sown with wheat.
> > > Justice Sackville found that 'the contravening conduct by Mr Greentree
> > and
> > > Auen was deliberate' and that 'Mr Greentree (and, through him Auen)
was
> > > well aware that any unauthorised action on his part that had
significant
> > > impact on the ecological character of Windella Ramsar site would
> > > constitute a contravention of the EPBC Act.'
> > > 'Mr Greentree was well aware of the approximate boundaries of the
> > Windella
> > > Ramsar site when he gave instructions for the clearing and ploughing
of
> > > virtually the whole site and the sowing of wheat on a substantial part
> > of
> > > the site. When giving the instructions, Mr Greentree knew that
whatever
> > > ecological character the site retained as a wetland would be largely
> > > destroyed, at least for a lengthy period, once his instructions were
> > > carried out.'
> > > Justice Sackville also found that 'the contravening conduct took place
> > > over a period of time' and that 'the deliberate conduct was more than
an
> > > isolated act of the kind that might occur as the result of an
impulsive
> > > error of judgment. It was planned conduct.'
> > > The actions of Mr Greentree and Auen caused significant ecological
> > damage
> > > to the Windella Ramsar site. 'The native vegetation remaining on the
> > site
> > > in February 2003 was almost entirely removed. Moreover, the capacity
of
> > > the site to regenerate as a wetland refuge for native plants and as a
> > > habitat for native fauna has been severely impaired.'
> > > In setting the pecuniary penalty, Justice Sackville noted that neither
> > Mr
> > > Greentree nor Auen has shown contrition for their conduct. Nothing has
> > > been said on their behalf that amounts to an unqualified
acknowledgment
> > > that their conduct was wrong. Nor have they expressed regret at the
> > > environmental damage that their conduct has caused. Justice Sackville
> > > rejected the contention that the conduct was the result of an honest
but
> > > mistaken belief.
> > > Working with farmers
> > > A focus of the Australian Government since the introduction of the
EPBC