birding-aus

[no subject]

From: "C B" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:50:26 +0800
Hi All,

I've observed the same behaviour as mentioned by David. But this time with Pacific Black Ducks and a single pair of Australian Ravens.

One Raven would swoop in and take a ducking and land not too far from the duck, and just hold the ducking squeeling in its bill. The duck would then charge the raven. The second raven of the pair would then attack from the other side sending the duckings scattering in a panic and leaving the duck toing and froing between the two ravens. The two ravens would then take off with a chick each. This would be repeated until the clutch of duckings were all gone, or the ducklings became too large for the ravens to take off with. I only ever noticed this in ducklings that were less than a week old.

On the subject of ravens, on Monday afternoon I watched a pair and their youngester getting stuck into a bottlebrush shrub. At first I thought they were meerly picking off the flowers, but they would carry the flowers to a perch and holding them in one foot, would probe their bills in the centre of the flowers. I can only assume they were after the nectar? Has anyone else observed nectar feeding in Australian Ravens before?

- Claire