birding-aus

Blue Mtns and Capertee Valley highlights

Subject: Blue Mtns and Capertee Valley highlights
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:29:02 +1000
A few highlights from the past few days birding around the Blue Mountains and Capertee Valley (NSW Central Tablelands):

- An immature male Flame Robin in the carpark at Evans Lookout, where we also got great views of Superb Lyrebird.

- White-throated Gerygone heard in Katoomba, 10/10/04.

- Sacred Kingfishers seem to be everywhere, as do various cuckoos.

- 2 Glossy Black-Cockatoos, Cliff Drive, Katoomba. After spending ages searching for them, they flew up from the cliffs right over our heads and perched in a tree in front of us.

- A Little Eagle flying over the Darling Causeway, between Mt Victoria and Bell.

- Mount Wilson, 11/10/04 - Black-faced Monarchs have arrived and are courting enthusiastically. All the other local rainforest species were also seen except for Rufous Fantail. Also a brilliant male Flame Robin in the Cathedral of Ferns picnic area.

- Leaden Flycatcher at the Coxs River, 13/10/04.

- A Dollarbird flying over Mt Victoria on 14/10/04.

- In the Capertee Valley, Masked Woodswallows at Coco Creek, together with White-browed. - Elsewhere in the valley, Southern Whiteface, Diamond Firetail, Mistletoebird and both martins all building nests, and Hooded Robin on a nest at April Mills' cottage.
- Turquoise Parrots at three locations.
- Regent Honeyeaters are still around but harder to find than they were a few weeks ago. - Painted Honeyeaters still present on my block. Also on my block, Variegated Fairy-wrens up the back, a Chestnut-rumped Heathwren heard singing and fleeting views of the Spotted Quail-thrush. The back dam has been absolutely brimming with birds in the hot conditions of the past few days. Each afternoon we've been watching up to seven species of honeyeater coming to drink, including very nice views of Black-chinned and Brown-headed.

A definite non-highlight was getting two flat tyres simultaneously in the Capertee Valley yesterday (while carrying only one spare). The helpfulness of the locals saved the day.

Cheers

Carol