birding-aus

Latham's Snipe

To: "Aaron Organ" <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>, "Stuart Cooney" <>, "Bill Ramsay" <>
Subject: Latham's Snipe
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:56:09 -0700
That is certainly a large number of Snipe for the 21st century. It is one of
the larger concentrations I've heard of in recent times. Historically of
course, we often had even larger congregations. For instance at Seaford
Swamp in the 1960s/70s we had over 400 but loss of habitat and birds means
that swamps on the east of Port Phillip Bay are now more likely to hold a
total of perhaps 40 birds!

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930