birding-aus

Hawkesbury area - 10th October 2004

To: <>
Subject: Hawkesbury area - 10th October 2004
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:12:15 +1000

Hi all

I spent yesterday morning visiting a few locations in the northern part of the Hawkesbury Region (NSW approx. 50-80km NW of Sydney CBD) as follows:

DHARUG NP – I was entertained by at least 4 Glossy Black-Cockatoos while a Superb Lyrebird next to me was giving a perfect imitation of a Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo (I thought I had both Black-Cockatoos as the Lyrebird was making the YTBC call only. It sure fooled me). There was also a Rufous Fantail, Channel-billed Cuckoos, Wonga Pigeons, Brown Cuckoo-dove, Satin Bowerbirds, a Rock Warbler and several Leaden Flycatchers about. However, there were also too many noisy people about to spend too much time here. I think they even scared away the local Brush Turkeys as well. I just posted a few of my Glossy Black Cockatoo photos on the Australian Bird Image Database Website (www.aviceda.org/abid/).

LAUGHTONDALE GULLY – I thought I heard Grey-crowned Babblers here but it was the Grey Shrike-thrushes that fooled me. If they made such a good imitation of the Babbler, I thought that the GCB’s maybe still around this part of Sydney (well Turquoise Parrots have survived here!). A Collared Sparrowhawk put on a good show. There was also quite a number of Honeyeaters here as well including Little Wattlebirds; White-eared, Yellow-tufted, Yellow-faced, Brown-headed Honeyeaters and Eastern Spinebills.

MITCHELL PARK, CATTAI – a brief stop here produced an abundance of Scarlet Honeyeaters (as often this time of year, their calls dominated the scene), Sacred Kingfishers, a Dollarbird, Bassian Thrush, White-throated Gerygones etc

Also on Saturday, was surprised to see a light morph Little Eagle being chased away by Ravens and flying low over St Martin’s Village Shopping Centre in Blacktown (approx. 40 km west of Sydney CBD).

Edwin Vella