birding-aus

Trip Report to Junee (NSW) & Edithvale Wetlands (Vic)

To: <>
Subject: Trip Report to Junee (NSW) & Edithvale Wetlands (Vic)
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 09:02:26 +1000
Hi Birders,
My wife Anne, and I make a 6 day trip via Junee NSW and then travelled onto visited family at Wattle Glenn and Greensborough, Melbourne 30/9-5/10/04

Some of the birding highlights were:

A Red-backed Kingfisher, about 12 km east of Bathurst, an unusual location when seasonal conditions are so good at present 30/9.
40+ Superb Parrots in a surburban park in Cootamundra where Yellow Box trees were flowering 30/9.
A pair of Crested Shrike-tits and Bee-eaters at Cudgewong Ck Frampton 30/9
10-12 Painted Honeyeaters, including a pair at a nest, in an area of Mugga Ironbark at Bethungra, the tree were heavily infested with Drooping Mistletoe which was heavily in fruit. Also at this site were White-winged Trillers, Southern Whiteface, Yellow-tufted Honeyeater, Shrike-tit etc 30/9
A flock of 150+ Plumed Tree-Ducks were based at the Junee STW but were also seen in the flooded pasture around the Caravan park and the Wetland Reserve as a result of the heavy rain. Also at the Junee STW were Red-kneed Dotterels, many Pink-eared Duck, Shoveler and 50+ Black-tailed Nartive-hens 1/10. Persistent rain terminated our plan trip to Ingalba NR & Pucawan NR at Temora.
On 4/10, a visit was made to the Edithvale Wetlands, not being a weekend or a Wednesday in day-light saving periods, the hide was not opened, but good views of the waterbirds were obtained from the platform near the hide. At the wetland there were 10+ Whiskered Terns in breeding plumage, a Swamp Harrier, 8+ pairs of Swans with cygnets, Hoary-headed & Australasian Grebe, Goldfinches, Little Grassbird & Reedwarblers, plus the usual ducks and Shoveler, and Swamphens with chicks. One unfortunate White-faced Heron had a piece of string caught around its neck, we saw the bird several times so perhaps it was building a nest near the bird hide?

Alan Morris