birding-aus

WTP - Trip report

Subject: WTP - Trip report
From: Frank Pierce / Janet Mattiske <>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:40:04 +1000

Having read Peter Fuller's posting of a Ruff at WTP yesterday, I immediately booked in to go today. Here's my story.

Got to north end of Paradise Pond at about 7am. Lots of Sharpies and Stints. All pretty flighty.Thought I saw a larger bird in flight a couple of times but couldn't get a fix on the Ruff. At about 9am most of the Sharpies seem to leave so I went to Cons. Ponds, Borrow Pits etc. and saw some good birds but no Ruff. At 9.10 someone else (Peter ?) arrived at the site and saw the Ruff almost immediately. At 9.20 another birder, Ray, arrived at the site and when Peter went to show him the Ruff it had gone from where he had seen it. I returned to the site at about 11.20 and was pretty frustrated to hear this from Ray who was still there, but had not yet seen the Ruff. I again set up my scope and proceeded to observe countless Sharpies and Stints who shifted position every few minutes. At 12.00 the Ruff flew in and landed directly in front of me, in the water where it washed and preened itself. Ray, my partner Janet and I all had good looks through the scope and our binis.
It was such a distinctive bird we had no doubt we had seen a Ruff.
It then flew off to the very far side of the pond when all the birds flushed for some reason. About 12.15 we picked it out again on the far side and watched it for a couple of minutes until it walked off and disappeared into the grass beyond the shore of the pond. We think it spends most of its time over there. It was so distinctive we are sure we wouldn't have overlooked it for a Sharpie during the time we had been looking for it.

Thanks to Peter Fuller for his detailed advice, it was good to have a definite site to look for such an elusive bird.

Other interesting birds for the day were:-
 Conservation Ponds - 7 Glossy Ibis
 Concrete ponds ne of Borrow Pits - Common Sandpiper
Borrow Pits - 6 Curlew Sandpipers(only ones seen), 2 Buff-banded Rails, 1 Aust. Crake, 10? Godwits and heard a Spotless Crake
 Paradise Rd - 1 Mallard, 1 Black-tailed Godwit and 1 Little Eagle.

WTP is certainly a great birding destination.

Regards

Frank Pierce