birding-aus

Townsville/Ingham

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Townsville/Ingham
From: "M&VGardner" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 20:03:53 +1000
Hi all,

Just spent 3 days in Townsville primarily for shopping but managed as much birding as possible with 4 young kids and a wife in tow.

Stayed at Rowes Bay, close to Townsville Common.  Plenty of garden birds about including White-gaped and Brown Honeyeaters, Great Bowerbird, Red-tailed Black Cockatoo and Helmeted Friarbirds quite easily seen.

Townsville Common was good - Varied Triller, Red-tailed Black Cockatoo, Bush Stone Curlew, what looked like a Broad-billed Fly-catcher in woodland habitat, heaps of Brown-backed Honeyeaters and Sunbirds, three cuckoos species - Horsefield's Bronze, Shining Bronze and Fantail Cuckoo.  Wetlands were all dry except for a small pool with not much in it except Pelicans, Black-fronted Dotterels and a White-faced Heron.  Other days might reveal different waterbirds though.  I got over 40 species at the Common in about an hour.

Went up to Ingham on Saturday 1/10/04 and there are heaps of Metallic Starlings nesting in the main street trees.  Pied Imperial Pigeons also flying about street trees.  Went to Tyto Wetlands right in Ingham....worth the short walk through the wetlands and got Crimson Finches, Red-necked Stint and Buff-banded Rail - this was between 2 and 3pm in the afternoon and extremely hot and stiflingly humid.  Probably a really good place for crakes - especially on a dam at the wetlands, but needed scope, patience and no kids running around.  Tyto wetlands is a great place for the Crimson Finches, there are even signs directing you to good Crimson Finch habitat - although none were seen in the particular location, we caught up with them beside the dam.

On the way back to Townsville Saturday evening popped into Jourama Falls N.P. - worth spending more time there but only spent 20 mins before dark.  Got White-naped Honeyeater, more Brown-backed Honeyeaters and Sunbirds, and White-rumped Swiftlets above the forest canopy.  Interp signs state Mahogany Gliders (possums) are apparently found in the camping area here.

Sunday morning on the way home, went to Oak Valley Reserve (only about 15 k's out of Townsville - turn off the Flinders Highway).  At the reserve is a big sign all about Black-throated finches.  Thought I saw some, but every finch in sight was a Chestnut-breasted Mannikin or Double-barred Finch.  Len Ezzy reported over 80 bt-finch there a few weeks ago according to the Birds Aus NQ newsletter, but we didnt come across them unfortunately.  The best thing I saw was a Fairy Gerygone (finally!). On the way out of the valley was a Hobby harrassing peewees.  I must admit Thuringowa Council and the local Townsville Bird Observers Club have done a good job with the b-t finch interp sign.

Quite a few Koels at Townsville around the suburbs - I now know why I dont miss living on the coast and being woken at 3 am to "Ko-elle......ko-elle....."

Cheers
Marc Gardner
Julia Creek QLD

P.S. - the closest I've seen a Koel to Julia Creek is 100k's north - and they can stay up there......or with Bob at Mt Isa.......