birding-aus

Migrants

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Migrants
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:46:17 +1000
Hi all

I also saw my first Dollarbird for this spring on the 3/10/04.
Channel-billed Cuckoos have been around for a little while. They are feeding
in our rather small Mulberry Tree along with, Black-faced Cuckoo, Red Wattle
Birds, Figbird, White-headed Pigeons and unfortunately, Common Mynah's.

Some other birds I have noticed that must be partial  migrants as they seem
to turn up at our place late August each year, are Willie Wagtail,
Black-faced Cuckooshrike and Black-shouldered Kite ( they bred here last
year ).

The garden is full of flowering Grevillea's and the usual dominant Noisy
Miners have been temporarily ousted as we have been invaded by lots of Red
Wattle Birds, Noisy Friarbirds and Eastern Spinebills. The occasional
Lewin's and Yellow-faced Honeyeater makes a nice change.

There are also plenty of parrots around as well, Galah's Little Corella,
Eastern Rosella, Crimson Rosella , King Parrot, Rainbow Lorikeet,
Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo, and  Sulphur-crested Cockatoo.

Our pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles were around this morning being mobbed by
Australian Magpie, Australian Raven and Masked Lapwing.

The Pheasant Coucal's have been very vocal as well. The pair of Welcome
Swallows that nest in the shed brought out 3 young this morning and there
are also plenty of Tree Martins swooping around.
Also no Koels yet.

Spring has definitely sprung and the recent rain ( 50 mm ) has freshened up
the countryside.

Cheers

Dick Jenkin

Michael Todd wrote

"> I heard my first Dollarbird this morning in Toronto as well!  Nope no
koels