birding-aus

Lyrebird threat mimicry

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Lyrebird threat mimicry
From: "Doug Holly" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 06:39:52 +0930
Hi All,
I also record natural sounds, and I don't believe in playback, unless it is
for research projects, I have seen the distress that it causes.
One day it accidently caused distress to me, I had been recording the sounds
of an Apostlebird and, not having an external speaker on my DAT recorder, I
was replaying the recording through earphones, it was very loud, and I use
"openair 'phones",  one of the Apostlebirds hit me on the head while trying
to get at "the intruding bird" inside, it drew blood.
Doug Holly