birding-aus

Fraser I. raptors

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Fraser I. raptors
From: "Ros" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:11:12 +1000
Hello All,
Just returned from Fraser Island (Qld).  Our annual visit is always at this
time of the year and is mostly a
fishing trip but the raptors stand out, even when fishing.  There seemed to
be somewhat of a demographic shift in the raptor population this year.  The
eastern beach is usually divided between regularly spaced White-bellied
Sea-Eagles and Brahminy Kites.  Without making a carefully measured count,
in the bottom 60k there were not as many WBSEs as usual and I saw only two
Brahminy Kites, much fewer than usual.  In the past 10 years or more I have
seen
only these two raptor
species here whereas this year the variety of raptors was way
up.

On 20th Sep 2004 at 5.00 pm, saw two Wedge-tailed Eagles together on the
foredunes,
4k north of Dundaburra.  They were standing and sitting about, on the
ground, being mildly harried by two Ospreys.  One of the Wedge-tails took to
the air in response but only to move a few meters closer to the other
Wedge-tail.  The Ospreys departed over the top of the dunes.

22nd Sept 2004 at about midday and half way between Ely Creek and the
"Mahino", 3 raptors put on a dueling display.  A large 'falcon' saw off a
Whistling Kite with an impressive wheeling, attacking display.  A third
raptor was in the same sky space.  It was the same size as a Whistler but I
didn't get a good look at it.  Sorry, don't know what the falcon was but it
was biggish, maybe 3\4 the size of the Whistler and whitish underneath with
no sharp markings that I could see.  With the sun behind it, it appeared to
have a thin, shining, white halo outline against the sky.  The two bigger
raptors drifted off over
the top of the
dunes.  The 'falcon' immediately dived into the foredune vegetation and
stayed there for
at least the 5 minutes of my wait.

25th Sept 2004 , 9.00 am., at the car ferry on the southern end of Fraser I.
a Whistling Kite patrolled the area.

None of the Whistling Kites seen were whistling.

I realise none of these sightings are remarkable in themselves but they are
different to what I usually see in the September school holidays on Fraser
Isalnd.

Regards, Ros.