birding-aus

Sightings, Chillagoe area NQ.

To: <>
Subject: Sightings, Chillagoe area NQ.
From: "Del Richards" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:56:24 +1000
Spent a couple of days recently around Chillagoe, which is situated about 130 km west of Mareeba. Well known for it's limestone and marble formations above ground, there are 420 caves that have been mapped by speliologists. Weather was warm and windy and saw smaller species of birds only on the second morning. Large numbers of Red-tailed Black Cockatoos were a feature and saw a flock 16 Squatter Pigeons which was unusual. On the first afternoon we drove west 35km to the Walsh River where we encountered large numbers of Little and Noisy Friarbirds feeding on flowereing paperbarks. The highlight of the trip was the adult Red Goshawk that we watched circling in the vicinity of the river crossing for a time. Near town at the race course the next morning we located 20+ black-throated Finches which are always a delight. Nearby in stunted eucalypts to our surprise we found a pair of Fairy Gerygones a species that I had always associated with rainforest or mangroves...when the closest typical habitat was 130+km distant. Always surprises in store! I was accompanied by Richard Thomis of Brisbane. A general lack of Black Kites was a feature of the trip and for some unknown reason this is a feature throughout this year, even on the cane fields along the coastal areas.
Del. Richards, Fine Feather Tours, Mossman, NQ.
www.finefeathertours.com.au