birding-aus

Migrants in the Kimberleys

To: <>
Subject: Migrants in the Kimberleys
From: "Llane Hadden" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 07:26:19 +0800
Here in the Kupungarri/Mt Barnett area a few migrants are turning up. At the Kupungarri sewage pond a Common Sandpiper stayed a few days and moved on. A Sharp-tailed Sandpiper stayed a few hours and also left but a Wood Sandpiper which arrived on the 21st is still present.

Oriental Plovers first arrived on the 15th Sept with 3 birds on a dry sewage pond. On the 19th I saw 4 birds on the Mt Elizabeth Station airstrip and on the 21st there were 5 birds on the Mt Barnett airstrip. On the 22nd this number had increased to 24 birds but today there were just 5 again.

Then just to the west of the Mt Barnett camping ground I had been watching a couple of White-quilled Rock-Pigeons when a Dollarbird flew overhead. First one for this spring.

Don Hadden