birding-aus

Nesting Regent Honeyeaters

Subject: Nesting Regent Honeyeaters
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:03:09 +1000
In Dean Portelli's report of last weekend's Regent Honeyeater surveys in the Capertee Valley he mentioned seeing a female bird sitting on a nest. This could be the same nest that I watched being built at the same site last Wednesday (8/9/04), when I led a group of visiting Swedish birdwatchers in the valley.

Last week the bird was collecting material from an old nest and using it to build the new nest high in an adjacent river oak. At all times this bird was closely guarded by her mate, the two birds flying back and forth as if joined by a short piece of string. The trouble was, no sooner had they flown off to gather another batch of material when a pair of White-naped Honeyeaters moved in and started pulling all the freshly added nest lining material out, and flying off with it! When the Regents returned, they didn't seem to twig (no pun intended)! So it was great to hear from Dean that the bird is now incubating.

Things are now looking a lot greener than they were and we also found quite a few other species breeding. It's shaping up to be a great spring in this part of the world.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets
Blue Mountains NSW