birding-aus

Weekend in NZ

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Weekend in NZ
From: Sav Saville <>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 12:47:28 +1200
Hi all,

Further to Sean Dooley's posting about his NZ weekend, I can confirm that he found the best bush birding site near Kaikoura - at Mt Fyffe. He was a bit unlucky not to score some of the other endemics there. There are also South Island Robins, NZ Pigeon and Rifleman at the site (and California Quail).

Hutton's Shearwater is not normally seen in big numbers from the Oceanwings pelagic, but a short stop at the tip of the peninsular always brings this species in view. There are also Cirl Buntings on the peninsular.

A visit to Lake Ellesmere should also have produced Wrybill, but it is a case of knowing exactly where to look.....

Sean's comments about introduced mammalian predators were close to the truth, except that we dont have any Foxes - probably the one saving grace!!

Cheers,

Sav Saville

Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
23 Duke St