birding-aus

T. Frogmouth nesting; Western Rosella

To: "" <>
Subject: T. Frogmouth nesting; Western Rosella
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:18:00 +1000
A morning walk round Darebin Parklands (Ivanhoe/Alphington, suburban
Melbourne) produced two interesting sightings and a lot of perfectly
ordinary ones.

The Tawny Frogmouth pair have been resident for many years; they
tolerate humans very well and seem to be valued by most visitors. Today
they were a bit harder to find than usual - the male was sitting on a
branch tucked into the trunk of a tree, higher up than usual. The female
was obscured by the structure of a large newly constructed nest close
by. Good luck to them.

In the highest part of the west bank, near the lookout tower, I could
hear a Rosella - I wasn't sure which one. What flashed past was mostly
bright red with a large butter-yellow ear patch! Clearly a male Western
Rosella, presumably an escape. Though the sighting was brief I have no
doubt about ID - I have seen WRs in the wild and in aviaries many times.
It flew about for a bit, calling, but didn't settle or come back where
it was visible.

Otherwise the usual suspects - Aust Grebe in breeding plumage, some
Chesnut Teal and Black Ducks, Dusky Moorhens and Coots on the ponds.
Plus two domestic hybrids - 1 large white duck , prob a Muscovy/Mallard
'mule', another light tan dom. Mallard with faint dark stripe above eye,
prob. Khaki Campbell cross.

Masked Lapwings were heard.
A large flock of White Ibis passed high overhead.

Rainbow Lorikeets numerous.

Small passerines were hard to find, probably because of the large
numbers of dogs around (I should have made a dog-count).
Superb Fairy-wren, 2 parties.
Whitebrowed Scrubwrens heard but skulking.
Spotted Pardalotes - males in treetops giving two-note call repeatedly
to female while female hops about in twigs near male; at least 3 pairs -
I assume this is courting
behaviour.

Red Wattlebirds noisy, numerous and aggressive (I wonder if the dead
male Blackbird I found had been stabbed by a RWB). Much hissing and
swearing at passing dogs.
White-plumed Honeyeaters

Magpies and Magpie-Larks on the grass.
Willie Wagtails - one caught a Painted Lady Butterfly (only the second
PLB I've seen this spring, first was seen yesterday).
Currawong species audible in distance
Little Ravens overhead
Welcome Swallows chasing insects - one with Cabbage White butterfly
Blackbirds, Starlings and Indian Mynahs

Numerous wattle species in flower - Silver, Blackwood and Golddust -
plus Clematis and plum trees (yes, introduced, but very pretty).

Not a great score but I'm sure I should have seen more if I hadn't
waited till peak dog-walking time (10.00-11.30 am). It was an enjoyable
walk in any case.

Anthea Fleming