birding-aus

Wot! No GPS

To: "Syd Curtis" <>, "bird" <>
Subject: Wot! No GPS
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:10:09 +1000
Syd wrote, 'Sun navigation: away from the tropics, the sun is to the north
in the middle
of the day ... IF YOU ARE IN THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE!  I found it took me
about six weeks to adjust to the northern hemisphere so that south 'feels'
south.  Until then I had to mentally work out where '

I have found little problem in Europe adjusting to the northern hemisphere,
no more than going south of the tropic. In Alaska though I did have a lot of
trouble. This suggests to me that perhaps I am sensitive enough to the
magnetic field for it to throw me off when the lines of  force approach the
vertical.

Syd gives excellent advice about creeks and for obvious reasons the inverse
applies to ridges. I find it best to follow ridges up and creeks down.

As a ten year old I was travelling north into Townsville by train. I was
woken by my father as we were approaching the station. I immediately became
aware that the sun was rising in the west, the wrong side of the train.
Although the reason was logically deduced and the correct one ie. that the
track had looped around and we were heading south, my brain had made a link
and there it stayed. I often passed through Townsville in my youth but it
was not until going down south to live, Townsville, that my sense of
direction in that city was restored.

Happy navigating,
Alan