birding-aus

Lenses for bird photography

To: Robert Read <>
Subject: Lenses for bird photography
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:17:48 +1000
Not at all.  It depends what you are wanting to do with it.  I used an
Olympus C740 quite extensively until I got my digital SLR and produced
some great results.  You have to get closer to the birds of course,
and the lower megapixel range will hurt you if you want to try and
zoom digitally, but if you are looking to take good quality record
shots with a few spectacular successes, then compact digitals can be
excellent.  The advantage of being able to hand-hold the camera in
most conditions is also a huge bonus.

That said I can tell you the difference in price between compact
digitals and DSLRs is definitely equal to a difference in quality and
ease of use too, so I reiterate that it depends what you want to do
with your camera.

Regards,
Chris