birding-aus

RFI South Polar Skua in Western Australia

To: birdswa email list <>
Subject: RFI South Polar Skua in Western Australia
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 02:04:53 +0800

We recently saw a South Polar Skua on the Hillarys pelagic trip from Perth. Apart from writing a submission for the Birds Australia Rarities Committee (BARC), I have been asked to write an article for WA Bird Notes.

HANZAB reports two at Geraldton in Nov 1980, nine at Two People's Bay Albany in May 1986, and one at The Gap Albany in May 1986. Ron Johnstone's Handbook of WA Birds reports one found dead at Rockingham Perth in June 1994.

Does anyone know of any other records (published or unpublished) in Western Australia? I am also interested in the dates of other sightings (other than those in HANZAB) in Australia to compare to our sighting on 8th August (i.e. mid July to late August).