birding-aus

Help........Wilson's Prom.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Help........Wilson's Prom.
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 18:17:26 +1000
6pm.  Hi Barry,  (read below first)
    I'm having a bit of a problem with forwarding the articles below.......I went into print preview and they are printing about 16 lines to the page and very large.....I have no idea what I've done......any suggestions would be appreciated.
I simply copied the pages from the book, saved them in jpeg and attached them to the emails, but something has gone drastically wrong.
I'll try again.  In the meantime you can at least read this email...

The following was actually meant to be sent to you with email attachments....but as they took over 1/2 an hour, I thought I'd better check out the problem.

Hi Barry,

It's Saturday at 5pm and it's been raining for the last 24 hours.   At last.  Over an inch, so that will help with our ever depleting water catchments.  We're still on water restrictions and some country towns are not allowed to use a hose for any reason.  We take water up to Leanne in water containers, the water is so dreadful to drink from their supply in Heathcote.  You can smell and taste the chlorine that has been added.  Hopefully they are getting some of this rain around Bendigo catchment.
Onto birding:

As for going birding with you during my second Melbourne stay, I would love to do so.  I don't have any other offers for that time period, at this point, so as much time as you want to spend with me, and whichever days, it is great for me.  If you want to pick a certain day or days now, that is fine, or if you want to wait until closer to the time, to see what other obligations might arise, that is fine too.
I've set aside the days of your second visit.  The only proviso being that should one of our daughters require a babysitter at short notice (eg, if they become ill) I would obviously have to renege on our arrangements.  But they have only called on me once in the last year, so we're just about assured of no interruptions to any plans we make.

From my side, I won't commit to anything for those five days without letting you know.  I'm very much looking forward to meeting you and doing some birding with you.
Certainly if another birder from an area you'll be visiting offers to take you out, they probably know the areas better than I do.  That's fine

Do you know anything about birding at Wilson't Promontory?  I'll have a few hours one afternoon and the following morning there.
Unfortunately, I haven't been to W'sP for over 25 years and I wasn't into birding at that stage.  That's dreadful that I haven't been there..I intend to remedy that very soon after your letter.
I really don't know birding areas and after searching birding-aus where there was little info, I've copied a few pages out of a book by John Bransbury entitled "Where to find birds in Australia".  At one stage it was the bible of every birder, but lately everyone seems to be using Thomas & Thomas's "The complete guide to finding the Birds of Australia".
I shall forward the copied section over a couple of emails as there is 12 pages covering the Prom area.  It also covers many other areas, so if information is short on any area that you intend to visit, I can refer to these two books, copy the pages and forward them to you.

All the best
Marlene.