birding-aus

Mistletoebird

To: <>
Subject: Mistletoebird
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:46:14 +1000
Gary and all,

Re growing mistletoe in the garden. The March 2004 issue of Wingspan had an interesting article about mistletoe and its value for wildlife. On page 12 is a segment containing instructions "How to grow mistletoe". Among the points mentioned it states that the sticky seed should be wiped on the underside of a twig, and that the twig "should be vigorous, thinner than a pencil and in full sun". It also states that establishment rates are quite low and you might expect perhaps 2 or 3 plants per 20 seeds planted.

As I found out recently, the mistletoe seed doesn't necessarily pass through the gut of the Mistletoebird. While travelling up the Stuart Highway near Erldunda, I was able to closely watch a pair of Mistletoebirds feeding on the fruit of a mistletoe growing in an acacia. As these particular fruits were quite large, instead of swallowing them the bird took each one in its bill and sucked the flesh out, before wiping its bill and depositing the sticky skin and seed on a branch. This the birds did repeatedly, and I wonder if this is equally as effective for germination of the new plant as being swallowed by the bird and passing through the gut, as they mostly do.