birding-aus

barking owl

To: "Dickson" <>, <>
Subject: barking owl
From: "Peter Johnson (ITD)" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 18:00:13 +1000
Barking Owls seem to be topical at the moment. I took Greg Robert's advice
and found the pair of roosting Barking Owls at Rowes Bay caravan park
(Townsville NQ) yesterday afternoon. Great views - thanks Greg. I spent the
rest of the afternoon birding along the mangroves around to The Esplanade. I
got back to my hotel room on the 14th floor of the Holiday Inn just on dusk
and was immediately alerted to a pair of Australian Hobby's hawking right
outside my window. I went out and arrived back at my room around 9pm and
took the binos out on the balcony to survey the evening (as one does). I was
immediately alerted to something flying toward the hotel and my immediate
suspicion was  a flying fox. That was until it landed on the balcony
directly below me - a Barking Owl. Goodness me. After stunning views thru
the binos, as it was calling I might add, I dashed for the digicam but alas
it flew again before I could focus. My dissapointment was tempered somewhat
by calls that suddenly emmenated from the balcony above me. Another Barking
Owl clutching an Indian Mynah. My gosh how lucky am I. Again it left  before
I could snap. The trees in Flinders Mall are obviously roosting sights for
many Rainbow Lorikeets and Indian Mynahs - quite a racket on dusk and dawn!
Given that Greg Roberts observed one of the pair at Rowes Bay with the
remains of a Myna also, it is fantastic, not only to see such a magnificent
creature of the night but also to know that they are obviously fond of this
pest species.

Happy birding

Peter