birding-aus

Mapgie nests

To: <>
Subject: Mapgie nests
From: "Annette Cooke" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 06:45:02 -1200
Magpies' habit of adding man made items to their nests reminds me of an incident that happened a couple of years ago.  One of my staff reported that she had seen a young magpie tied to a tree by its foot in the Eprapah Creek area at Victoria Point, a southern bayside suburb of Brisbane.

We contacted the council wildlife officer, and I sent the staff member out to show them where the magpie was, and a whole chain of rather hilarious events took place.  First council sent a cherry picker, which got bogged crossing a creek.  I sent another staff member to find the original, but neither came back.  A backhoe came to pull the cherrypicker out and nearly got bogged itself. By this time, most of my staff were watching the drama, and I was stuck in the office answering phones.

Meanwhile the poor magpie was hanging upside down, suspended by a piece of string.  Eventually the council wildlife officer employed a "tree climber", who put on all his gear, asserted he was a New Zealander and hated magpies, climbed the tree and cut the magpie free, and captured it.

The young magpie was entrapped with a piece of string which was woven into the nest.  He was treated by a vet, lost a couple of toes, but was eventually returned and reaccepted by his parents.