birding-aus

North Qld long weekend

To: Birding Australia <>
Subject: North Qld long weekend
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:31:32 +1000
Hi All,

Just a very brief belated trip-report from last-weekend, Marie and I spent 23-26 July at Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge, Julatten N Qld. Weather was quite wet but didn't ruin the trip (although we would have been happier if it had been raining constantly at home in Samsonvale.....will it ever rain here again?)

On friday we had great views of Australian Bustard and displaying Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo at West Mary Rd near Mt Carbine but failed to see Squatter Pigeon.
Saturday we spent snorkelling on Agincourt Reef on the Poseidon out of Port Douglas, great fish very few sea-birds or Minke Whales (which had been observed on the previous day)
A Red-necked Crake was present at KP (on friday and saturday evening) bathing in a bowl next to the feeding-station!

On sunday we took a trip with Peter Cooper (Mangrove Man) up the Mossman River, at least six Little Kingfisher, brief views of Great-billed Heron and Papuan Frogmouth, unfortunately Mangrove Robin only heard not seen.
In the afternoon we met Keith Fisher who kindly showed us some of the areas in the Julatten/Mt Molloy area, we failed to see Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo at their isolated population near Mt Mowbray (Mowbray State Forest?) but did see Grey Whistler, Yellow-breasted Boatbill and Gould's Bronze-Cuckoo.  At Big Mitchell Creek he found a pair of  White-browed Robins (a long-awaited 'lifer'....pic at http://www.aviceda.org/abid/search.php?action="">)  and near the Mt Molloy Transfer-Station he picked up Banded Honeyeater (another 'newie' for me!) Lemon-bellied Flycatcher and Brown-breasted Honeyeater I hadn't expected the former as the main quarry was Squatter Pigeon so we were jubilant on return to KP. Thanks Keith!

Early monday morning I heard the 'lurida' race of Boobook Owl calling from near the accomodation at KP but failed to see it, although I did see up to 6 Barn Owl & young calling close to the main road. Apparently I missed a persistently barking Barking Owl on the previous evening and there was no sign of Lesser Sooty-Owl (soon to be re-lumped....I'm told!)

So ended another great trip to a great birding area....any Birding-Ausers that haven't made the trip yet should definitely make North Queensland a priority.

Big thanks to Ron & Suzanne Stannard

I would like to state that although some of the references in this report are commercial, we have no financial interest in any.

Tom & Marie Tarrant

--
 Tom & Marie Tarrant
 Samsonvale, Queensland 4520