birding-aus

Upcoming Aussie Birding Trip - Part 3

Subject: Upcoming Aussie Birding Trip - Part 3
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:42:07 EDT
Hello Aussie Birders,

Here are my plans for the third part of my Aussie birding trip, which is planned for October-November this year.  I am an American and I will have a car and be travelling alone.

The first two parts of the trip, posted within the last week, covered Sydney, Barren Grounds, Mallacoota, East Gippsland, Wilson's Promontory, the Great Ocean Road, the Grampians, Little Desert, Wyperfeld/Hattah-Kulkyne, and Deniliquin.  I have heard from a number of Aussie birders, and I greatly appreciate all the information they have provided.  I am hoping to meet some of them when I am there.

After Deniliquin, I plan to spend two nights in Chiltern (5th and 6th of November), to see what birds I can find in the Chiltern-Mt. Pilot NP.  I have the excellent birding information found at http://www.tourisminternet.com.au/chbird.htm (Chiltern Bird Trails), but if anyone has any additional or supplemental information, I would love to get it.

From Chiltern, I will go to Bright, on the Great Alpine Way, staying there for two nights also (7th and 8th of November).  I am interested in seeing the Australian Alps from a purely sightseeing point of view, but I suspect that there could also be some interesting birding in that area.  I don't have any particular birding sites to seek out in that area, at this point, so any suggestions would be most welcome.  I would also be interested in knowing how the terrible fires of a couple of years have affected this area, especially in terms of where I should go and what I should expect.  Another thing that would be helpful would be a list of birds I should look for there, in November.

Finally, I will finish the trip with five nights (9th through 14th November) in the east Melbourne area, basing myself in Ferntree Gully, and expecting to cover the Yarra Valley, the Yarra Ranges, the Dandenongs, the Mornington Peninsula, and Phillip Island.  I have found lots of information online about various birding sites in those areas, but I would welcome anything else I could learn, and I would love to meet some Aussie birders and do a little birding with the benefit of local experience.  I already have arrangements to visit Werribee with a local birder, the first time I go through Melbourne, in late October, and I expect that to be one of the highlights of the trip.

This will be my second Aussie birding trip, and if you want to see pictures from my first trip, they can be seen at http://www.tourisminternet.com.au/chbird.htm

Thanks again for all the information and help that I have gotten from the members of this list.

Barry Brugman
USA