birding-aus

Cape Barron Geese in the NSW Riverina

To: <>
Subject: Cape Barron Geese in the NSW Riverina
From: "David Parker" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:51:21 +1000

Hello all,

At lunch today I received a rather energetic knock at the door. Getting up, I was faced by local birding identity Tom Wheller (of Plains-wanderer photo fame). He had received word of a pair of Cape Barron Geese present in a local park in inner Deniliquin. The two of us visited the site to see the pair happily walking at waters edge, feeding in the grass (introduced).

Cape Barron Geese are said to be vagrants to southwest NSW, 1955-56, 1966, 1973 (HANZAB). These birds were checked for leg bands – not present, nor any other human-placed marking, thus eliminating that they may be from the Kyabram Fauna Park (approx. 150km southeast). The birds were also observed in flight earlier this morning, suggesting their wings had not been clipped, a practice used by local keepers who may have the birds in their collection.

During the course of the day a number of locals visited the pair to have a look. It is amazing how numbers flock to something different/unusual, regardless whether they be bird watchers from one extreme to the other. On my evening run (1800hrs), I passed by the park just to check if they were still about. They were there still happily grazing.

Also observed during visits to local dams, a pair of Musk Duck, the male displaying to the female. Other waterbirds about included Chestnut and Grey Teal, Black Duck, Wood Duck, Australasian Shoveler, Australian Shelduck, Mallard, Hardhead, Hoary-headed Grebe, Australasian Grebe, Sacred Ibis, White-faced Heron.

Cheers

David Parker

Deniliquin NSW