birding-aus

Cunnamulla part 1

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Cunnamulla part 1
From: "Colin Driscoll" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:26:56 +1000
Hi all

Back from my Cunnamulla trip of 18-24 July so here's the first part. A
purpose of the trip was to assist my sister with her PhD in arid lands
research as well as have a break and see new country. On the way I stayed
overnight at her home in Ravensbourne (near Toowoomba) where her house is in
the bush and there are no cats or dogs! White-browed Scrubwrens, Superb
Fairywrens and Red-browed Finches regularly hop around on the verandahs of
the house. The garden shrubs are loaded with the nests of finches and
honeyeaters. My bird list of 38 species is below.

Of interest was the Striated Pardalote race melanocephalus which is a much
more striking bird, and seems to have a bigger voice, than the race ornatus
that I am accustomed to from NSW. The White-browed Scrubwren wasn't easy to
sort out and the Schodde & Mason directory shows that the Ravensbourne area
should contain an intergrade between races laevigaster from the north and
tweedi from the south. The birds appeared more colourful than the race
frontalis from central coastal NSW.

To Cunnamulla next...

Cheers
Colin Driscoll