birding-aus

Upcoming Aussie Birding Trip - Part 2

Subject: Upcoming Aussie Birding Trip - Part 2
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 20:31:56 EDT
Hello,

I got a great response to my post about the first part of my trip, so here is Part 2.  I am an American who is planning his second Aussie birding trip, scheduled for this October-November.  I have an itinerary planned, and I would like to receive any specific suggestions for birding sites along my way.  My first post, a few days ago, covered Sydney to Wilson's Promontory, along the coast.

This one will cover the Great Ocean Road, the Grampians, Little Desert, Wyperfeld NP, Hattah-Kulkyne NP, and Deniliquin.  In the third one, I will cover Chiltern, Bright (Great Alpine Way), and Melbourne (East). I'll be travelling alone, and I will have all my accomodations booked in advance, so I'll only have limited flexibility, but would love to get suggestions for places and things along my way.  I would also love to meet any Aussie birders who are interested in meeting an American birder.

If you are interested in pictures of my first Aussie birding trip (Sydney to Cairns), pictures can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/barryb15/

This second part of my trip will begin when I leave Melbourne on Monday, 25 October.  That day I will cover the Great Ocean Road as far as Apollo Bay.  The next day I plan to travel the second half of the Great Ocean Road, ending up in Port Fairy.  It seems like I will be doing a lot of sightseeing those two days, but I expect that there will be some interesting birds along there, too, if I knew where to look for them.

After that, I will make my way north to the Grampians, where I am booked to stay for three nights, near Wartook.

From there, it will be one night at the LIttle Desert Lodge, then on to Wyperfeld and Hattah-Kulkyne.  I would particularly like suggestions for birding sites in these areas, considering the time of year (first week in November).  The more specific, the better.  I have read various trip reports online and in the Birding-Aus archives, but I don't know how the season will affect things.  I am planning to stay one night in Rainbow and two nights in Ouyen.

From Ouyen, I plan to drive to Deniliquin, and I would appreciate any suggestions as to route - there seem to be several reasonable choices, looking at a map.  I would be interested in a scenic route, and if there were a couple of birding sites along the way to stop at, that would be fine, too.

I plan to spend two nights in Deniliquin, and I have found a number of great-sounding birding sites in that area, but any further suggestions would be great - again, the more specific, the better.

I guess that is enough for this email.  I'll finish off the trip in a few days.