birding-aus

Headline - Coalition accused of pork-barrelling with green grants

Subject: Headline - Coalition accused of pork-barrelling with green grants
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:59:40 +1000
Wish it were happening here in Dr Kemp's own constituency!

We have the last large remnant of Yellow Box Grassy Woodland, hidden away on
CSIRO property in Highett (suburban Melbourne).  The Yellow Box gum trees were
so scarce in the 1920s that a survey failed to find any at all in eastern
Melbourne. But by a miracle a 4 hectare block survived until the 1940s.

We are trying to save and restore it but guess the destruction value (some call
it "development value") is many millions.  David Kemp assured us of that he
"... would be delighted to be able to assist in some way to achieve your
objectives to restore this valuable remaining piece of an earlier landscape."

Maybe he was rolled again by the Cabinet because the land has - quite
improperly in our view - probably been put on the CSIRO books as a financial
asset. He resigned the night after our last letter.

Similar situations might recur in key areas that you know. I guess the Federal
Government and CSIRO might be alarmed by the general implications of our
passion to keep this vegetation living for ever.

Just email me for more info.

Off-topic sure, but important with the election coming up, yes.

Michael Norris
Friends of the Highett Grassy Woodland
Bayside Friends of Native Wildlife

PS recent NHT grants here have been most helpful: mainly for weeding after
ecological burns of remnant heathlands, plus some help with analysis of hair
tube results from a small mammal survey (which involved, from memory 25+
volunteers).