birding-aus

Bush hens in winter

To: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Subject: Bush hens in winter
From: "Keith & Lindsay Fisher" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:29:40 +1000
Hi folks,
I agree with Alan regarding silence and secrecy of Bush-hens in the winter
but like many species in the tropics little is known of movements whether
they are local or long distant ones. There are definitely resident pairs
around Cairns (at least one!) as I have had them in our old garden in Cairns
all year around. Last week 10-14th July I saw a pair every day around
Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge at Julatten (northern end of Atherton
Tablelands). They were visible along the edge of the road early in the
morning at first light but were not calling. I've mainly heard them calling
in the breeding season Oct-March.

Cheers,
Keith Fisher
Cairns, Far North Queensland