birding-aus

Fruiting Fig...supermarket for 200+ birds

To: <>
Subject: Fruiting Fig...supermarket for 200+ birds
From: "Del Richards" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:00:49 +1000
In mid June about 20kms SW of Mossman NQ our tour group were able to observe feeding activity in a huge fruiting fig. The tree was situated about 50 metres from dense rainforest which afforded a wonderful opportunity to view and estimate the number of birds feeding at any one time. Estimates were 25+ Barred Cuckoo-shrikes, 20+ Figbirds, 17+ Wompoo Fruit-Doves, 53+double-eyed Fig-parrots,70+ Silvereyes, 4 Tooth-billed Bowerbirds, 3 Spotted Catbirds, 2+ Victoria's Riflebirds, 30+ Honeyeaters of five species, Maclaey's, Bridled, Lewin"s, Yellow-spotted and Graceful.
    The Silvereyes were taking sap from the (fruit) stems after the fruit itself had been taken by the larger species.
    Two birders in our group, Lorna Bloom from Sydney and Graham Goodall from Mossman shared my opinionthat we had never observed so many birds feeding in one tree.
    In the Wet Tropics native figs generally fruit twice a year which is an unusual feature, however this proves to be an advantage for local bird species.
Del. Richards, Fine Feather Tours, Mossman, NQ.