birding-aus

Mallee Trip Report - Hattah Kulkyne

Subject: Mallee Trip Report - Hattah Kulkyne
From: "Paul Rose" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:00:07 +0700
Hello birdos,

A brief trip report re a 3-day trip to Hattah-Kulkyne and Pink Lakes that Sean
Fitzgerald and I took from July 6th-8th.
We sighted 96 species for the trip, 10 new species for Sean and 5 new species
for myself, achieving my goal of getting above 300 species for Victoria, at
302, before I departed for Thailand this coming week.  Sean, a recently
converted birdo, has progressed his list and, more importantly, knowledge of
Australian avifauna dramatically since we teemed up two years ago.
Again, I thank those many people who replied with detailed information to
assist us in planning a very successful venture north.
I will endeavour to provide some significant details and directions of some key
species observed.

Swagged at top end of Nowingi Track (Hattah-Kulkyne NP) night of 5th July after
travelling up from Melbourne in the evening.
Owlet-Nightjars heard.
First light down Nowingi track by 2WD to km4.7 from highway where first heavy
patch of Porcupine grass sighted from track -  almost immediately heard Mallee
Emu-Wren on both sides of track.  Excellent sightings of entire family group -
the turquoise-blue of the males not done justice by illustrations.  Some
eucalypts in blossom at the beginning of the track along northern edge as still
travelling east.
Brown-headed, yellow-plumed, blue-faced honeyeaters observed.  Many parrots
coming to water on low-lying regions of the track.
Additional Emu-wren observed later down the track at km6.5 when stopping to
observe Crested Bellbird (3) working ground and fallen trees.
At km7.2, stopped for other insect-like calls in heavy porcupine grass.  Found
group of Striated Grasswren, fleeting glimpses at first
and then better views of a couple of views with patience.  Best bet was to
predict where they would run through a gap in the grass, and occasionally birds
would pause in the gap before running on.  Very fascinating birds to watch and
rich in colour.
Chestnut Quail-Thrush heard often and sighted when looked for at many locations
along the track up to 10km from start in association with flocks of birds
moving through.
Frustratingy, no Scrub-Robin here or at Pink Lakes the following day.
Will have to go to Little Desert (Kiata) another time as suggested.
Could not locate  Malleefowl mound along Nowingi as directed, and we tried !!!
Quite a few visitors for afternoon tea at the Lake Mournpall campground - Pied
Butcherbird, Blue-faced Honeyeater, Noisy Miner, Pink Cockatoo, Mulga and
Ringneck - all coming in for a good look.
Swagged next night at eastern end of MUrray Sunset along Honeymoon Hut track,
4km west of where Meridian Road meets the Homeymoon track.
Awoke to some drizzle but very active around water tank and surrounds.
Hooded Robin were almost everywhere we stopped along this track, Golden, Rufous
and Gilberts Whistlers everywhere but no Red-lored noted.  Several Shy
Heathwren sighted along Honeymoon Hut track heading west from Meridian road.
Cut down Meridian road and along to Pink Lakes - spoiled ourselves on our last
night at the campground, with fire and all.  Awoke to ice on bivy, inside and
out, with any liquids left out well and truly frozen !!!  Many Owlet-Nightjar
flying around at night and Boobook calling - millions of stars, some
constellation gazing, a few golden ales and a stunning night.
Stopped in at Lake Tyrell on way home, sighting a somewhat largish group of 52
Blue-winged Parrots on the saltmarsh, a family of White-winged Fairy-Wren and
one species we were after, Rufous Fieldwren (2) - one male in full song.  No
chats to sperak of anywhere unfortunately.

Thanks again to all , I better be off.
A wonderful last trip before I head out for a few years.

Cheers for now,

Paul