birding-aus

Grey Grasswren thanks

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Grey Grasswren thanks
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:39:19 +1000
My thanks to all the folks who kindly shared their sightings of Grey Grasswrens. We went back to the site near the Wompah Gate north of Tibooburra in late June and had very brief views of a group of four birds, in atrocious light too! They were heard calling briefly and seemed to be associating with Variegated Fairywrens in the lignum, but were extremely difficult to see well.
    We had very brief views of Eyrean Grasswren on the red dune 36 km west of Cameron Corner, then luckily found two rather more obliging birds in the small sand hummocks about 100m west of Montecollina Bore some 200 km up the Strzelecki Track. Banded Whiteface was also seen here and it's a convenient lunch stop if travelling the track.
    The Eastern Thick-billed Grasswren (surely as good a split as Kalkadoon or Short-tailed?) showed fairly well at the Chestnut-breasted Whiteface site north of Lyndhust, where the whiteface also showed nicely. There had been some rain here since May, so it was really green, and we delighted to find at least 12  Inland Dotterel 5 km north of the Strzelecki Track sign just north of Lyndhurst, with another small group on the verdant green sward some 2 km north, with a pair Gibber Chat nearby- yay! We found no Grey Falcons or Letter-winged Kites though.
    Short-tailed Grasswren proved really hard in the Flinders Ranges and we had to settle for scuttling glimpses. We dipped utterly on Striated at Hattah-Kulkyne again despite trying pretty hard, I  guess it's not a good time of year to find them.
A trip report is available direct from me, too long to post.
Good birding
Phil Gregory
Cassowary House
Kuranda