birding-aus

W.A. #10 Karratha / Point Sampson.

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: W.A. #10 Karratha / Point Sampson.
From: "Lois j Piroch" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:48:35 +1000
Hi birders,
Birding was generally quite poor around Karratha with the local cinnamon coloured race of Singing Bushlark perhaps the most interesting. A pair of Beach Stone-curlews near Hearson's Cove [actually the next bay to the left.] was an unexpected bonus.
I spent several hours exploring the towns mangroves but only saw the expected Mangrove Grey Fantail, Yellow White-eye & Sacred Kingfisher. The latter I again tried to convert to the Collared variety, but as usual noted the buffish tinge.  However on my 3rd visit to the Point Sampson mangroves as mentioned in T & T, which is actually the crossing of Pope's Nose Creek, on alighting from my vehicle spied a pair of Collared Kingfishers. The only ones seen for the trip.
Where previously I had no success in finding birds at the crossing, this time I explored the south-east corner, under the rocky hillside & very soon came across Mangrove Golden & White-breasted Whistlers & at last , Mangrove Robin.
My frequent visits to Point Sampson were not only for the birds but rather to enjoy a sundowner on the balcony of the Tavern, followed by a meal of fish & chips at Moby's Kitchen beneath.
Whilst enjoying the pleasures on one of these visits I was startled to see a Pheasant Coucal clambering around the trees across the road. Again the only one seen for the trip.
Leaving the caravan behind we spent several days [10-12th June] camping in Millstream-Chichester N.P.  On route stumbled upon a solitary Spinifexbird.  The Park gave up Blue-winged Kookaburra, Painted Firetail, Western Bowerbird, Grey-headed Honeyeater, Barking Owl, Grey-crowned Babbler & the highlight, Star Finch where Snappy Gum Drive crosses the Fortesque River.     A lovely park.

Cheers
Geoff. Walker
0418 572 922