birding-aus

To be or not to be a Baer's Pochard

To: <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: To be or not to be a Baer's Pochard
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:40:17 -0000
I'd like to endorse Chris Lester's comments posted earlier today, (except to
correct the date of Fred's first sighting to 3 July not April!) and to add a
few comments of my own.

Based on the part description I've received, the bird seen on the evening of
Friday 9 July was not a Baer's Pochard nor even a look alike. The breast
colour was like that of a Hardhead, not 'bright chestnut' resembling a
Chestnut Teal (or Australian Shelduck) as given in the original description,
and a distinguishing feature of  Baer's Pochard. This breast colour, not
just the green on the head, was one of the reasons behind my suggestion that
the bird might be a hybrid Hardhead/Chestnut Teal. From photographs and
descriptions, the bird on that morning was the same as that in the
excellent, revealing photos taken by Peter Fuller on 13 July. Both had
frayed wings.

I now believe that the bird is damaged and this is what has created it's
unusual appearance. Maybe it has been shot or hit an overhead wire in
flight! Peter Fuller's photo of it flapping it's wings show not only worn
primaries but apparently missing feathers on the inner wing. Feather loss
seems too great to be entirely due to moult. Danny Rogers' thinks that the
tertials are missing.

As a green gloss is at times visible on the head of Hardhead, I now consider
that all more recent sightings are of a strange, perhaps damaged, Hardhead.

I still haven't seen any photos from the 7 July (available from three
sources) but unfortunately, events since then are tainting the whole claim.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136