birding-aus

Identity of the Grey Heron at Barcaldine remains uncertain.

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Identity of the Grey Heron at Barcaldine remains uncertain.
From: "Rohan Clarke" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:26:34 +1000
Hi all,

Thanks to Mike Carter for posting the initial report. Always best to have a
heads-up on a potential major rarity before it's gone.

I spoke yesterday with the finder (Margo Pritchard) of the unusual heron at
Barcaldine during a short window of mobile phone reception (by that stage they
were at Cloncurry and heading north). The description did not match a typical
adult Grey Heron but neither did it rule it out. The possibility that it was an
immature Grey Heron also remained. In brief it was described as a large heron
(bigger than the accompanying Egrets) with a grey neck, darker grey wings and
body, grey bill and legs. There was heavy black speckling down the front of the
neck, extending on to the upper breast. Of concern the bird did not have a
darker grey or black cap which I would expect should show on a Grey Heron even
if it were a juvenile. At the time the bird did not fit anything in the two
Australian field guides on hand although another camper who had been present
for a week had already identified it as a Grey Heron (I don't know what
specfically led them to this conclusion). Subsequently, Margo checked other
books in Longreach and concluded Grey Heron was probable.

This description could also fit an odd Pacific (White-necked) Heron but given
Margo seems to be quite familiar with water birds I felt the record was worth
following up further. I therefore rang the Barcaldine Tourist Information
Centre on the off chance that they may know a birder living in the area that
could travel out to the Lloyd Jones Weir and photograph the bird. Kylie at the
tourist offices offered to do this herself and this morning I was emailed a
digital photograph of the only 'grey' heron present at the weir yesterday
afternoon. Unfortunately the photograph shows a White-faced Heron. Also
photographed was a Great Egret. Kylie was quite correct in pointing out that
the 'grey' heron they located (the white-faced) was smaller than the (Great)
egrets present and thus she had some doubts as to the bird's identity.

I think what can be concluded is an unusual heron was present a couple of days
ago (and had been there for up to a week before then) at the weir. The bird was
not present yesterday. Given Margo's description the White-faced heron (the
only grey heron there yesterday) is NOT the same bird that was seen earlier as
she was quite confident of the heavy speckling on the breast, which white-faced
heron does not (and would not be expected to) show.

The record therefore remains unconfirmed and at this stage not something I
would recommend travelling a long distance for. If however there are people in
the district that are interested, it would be worth dropping into the weir
(directions below) if the opportunity arises. If you find something and you are
unsure feel free to email me digital photographs for my thoughts.

I am especially grateful to Kylie (Barcaldine Tourist Officer) and Geoff Adams
(Barcaldine Economic Development Officer) for their efforts to resolve the
bird's identity.

By my reckoning Barcaldine is an hour east of Longreach and 5-6 hours west of
Rockhampton. If you are ever travelling via Barcaldine the weir might be a nice
place to plan an overnight stop. The area offers picnic facilities with BBQ,
water, camping, bird watching, shady eucalyptus, covered rest areas as well as
a great fishing and swimming spot during the wet season.   From Barcaldine the
Weir is 5 km along the highway towards Blackall where you turn right and travel
for about 9km then turn left on to a sandy soil road for about 1 km.

Checkout http://www.barcaldine.qld.gov.au for more information on the district.

Regards,

Rohan Clarke
Zoology Department