birding-aus

RFI - Lyrebirds at Kinglake N.P.

To: Brian Fleming <>
Subject: RFI - Lyrebirds at Kinglake N.P.
From: Merrilyn Serong <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:55:54 +1000
Hi Anthea
Yarra Valley BOCA went to Jehosophat Gully in Kinglake National Park (NE of Melbourne) on Saturday 10th. We saw at least 3 lyrebirds and heard more. We could just see the top of the tail of a male displaying behind a large log. We also saw some well-looked-after display mounds near the track. However, that track is narrow and a bit wet, though not particularly slippery and mostly not steep. At lunch time we had the picnic tables to ourselves, though we did see some other people on the track. My experience with lyrebirds in nearby Toolangi State Forest and beyond is that they are present, and singing or mimicking and performing for most or all of the year. I haven't been to Mason's Falls recently, but assume they are there now as well.
Cheers,
Merrilyn

Anthea Fleming wrote:

Are Lyrebirds visible at present at Mason's Falls at Kinglake National
Park?  (I mean at times outside the massed tourist picnic lunch period,
though I doubt if that's a problem at this time of year).
Are they still singing and performing at present?
What other parts of Kinglake are worth a try, for those who can't quite
manage miles of steep slippery paths these days?
Anthea Fleming