birding-aus

Striped honeyeaters

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Striped honeyeaters
From: "Gary Blond" <>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:11:12 +1000
Working in my garden yesterday, the usual sounds made by the resident noisy miners was interrupted by some pleasant melodious bird calls.

Closer observation revealed a small bird that was flitting very quickly from tree to tree making beautiful sounds wherever it landed. Certainly was identified as at least a honeyeater of some sort as it was making a number of trips to the flowers on a grevillea.

This morning heard the call again and picking up my new digital camera raced to the back garden and the new visitor landed very close to me ( full of cheek ) and almost posed for me.Then  noticed that it was visiting the birdbath and there were now two of them preening each other in a tree near to the bath.

Quick check of the Simpson and Day identified them as striped honeyeaters. I have lived in this area for three years and this is the first time that I have seen these birds. Is there hope that they may stay and put a dint in the miner numbers?

Also this morning about seven or eight blue faced honeyeaters visited the birdbath. They are semi regular visitors.Noted that they are not easily chased by the miners. Perhaps they may colonise as well.

Cheers

Gary Blond
Joyner
( in the Pine Shire 25 kms N. of Brisbane )