birding-aus

Golden Whistler juv plumage - how long do the wings stay rufous-edged?

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Golden Whistler juv plumage - how long do the wings stay rufous-edged?
From: "katie" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:33:25 +1000
Hello - I was walking up my driveway with my infant son yesterday and
spotted a bird low in the hedge. I only had a brief look at it but it was
close enough for my babe to say 'buh - aghh aghh' (the seagull call- his
first bird mimicry).

I came straight into the house and looked up my Pizzey & Knight and decided
that my best guess was a juvenile Golden Whistler - the size, shape, bill
etc were all right and I had noticed that the wings had a distinct rufous
edging to them.

Reading from Pizzey, breeding starts in August for Golden Whistlers. Is it
possible this is last years fledgling? or have I misidentified? I don't know
the moulting patterns for these (or many other) birds.

Appreciate any wisdom from more experienced birders out there.

Cheers,

Katie McCloskey
Bangalow  Northern NSW