birding-aus

Birding around Gloucester this week

To: <>
Subject: Birding around Gloucester this week
From: "Penny Drake-Brockman" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 12:55:08 +1000
Dear birders

As I'm off to parts west and north of Alice (including Newhaven) on Sunday, had to do my quarterly surveys in a rush this week.  The grazing properties produced nothing exceptional, no doubt due to the continuing and awful drought, but I did see a Striated Pardalote collecting bits of dead root from a creek side, and flying up and vanishing into shrubbery at the base of a gum tree - presumably nest building.

At Copeland Flora Reserve 16 km west of Gloucester are thousands (no exaggeration) of Silvereyes, that all seem to be Tasmanian ssp - the noise is sometimes so loud you can't hear the other birds. Lots of ground thrush, including one good view of a Russet-tailed, large flock of Topknot Pigeons feeding on the many fruiting rainforest trees, and calls of Wompoo and Wonga, Brown Cuckoo-doves and 2 Green Pigeons on the ground. Interesting sight was one Pied Currawong viciously harassing a Grey Goshawk, 1st sighting of one in this reserve, and about 6 Green Catbirds busily and silently chasing each other through the mid canopy. Courting activity?  Also a group of juvenile Olive-backed Orioles flying around the top canopy, making a lot of noise, and then the warbly calls of an adult. Thought they all went north for the winter. It's very cold here at late night/early morning with frost every morning for the last month. Not the weather for torpical species but nice when you're active.

And so we prey for rain.