birding-aus

Trip report: SWQ/NW NSW part 2

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Trip report: SWQ/NW NSW part 2
From: "Carl Corden" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 23:55:26 +1000

The following morning, I awoke early to make sure I didn’t miss any of the birds coming to drink at the bore. I needn’t have worried! Not a single bird appeared at the lower bore, although I did see a Spotted bowerbird leaving the upper bore, so I assume there was some activity. I’m not really surprised at the lack of activity at the bore. All along the road at various places west of St George I saw lots of water as a result of recent rains. With all this water I can’t see why birds would make a special trip to the bore to drink! I waited until well after sunrise before heading off west. Just as I was leaving, I noticed some babblers while watching a flock of Blue bonnets. Unfortunately, these turned out to be more Grey-crowned babblers. Near Eulo I saw a dirt road heading south into what appeared to be good vegetation, so I headed down here for a few hundred metres in the hope of picking up the babblers. Here the vegetation was a little different, with more tall eucalypts. I managed to see some different birds here, including Varied sittella, Little corella, Apostlebird and a small flock of Budgerigar perched in a tree. Just to the west of Eulo, there was a small flooded area where I stopped briefly to investigate. Lucky I did, because as I was standing there a large dark raptor cruised overhead, circling lazily over the wetland. I soon realised it was a Black-breasted buzzard, again the only one I saw during the entire trip.

From here, I continued west to Lake Bindegolly National Park. Immediately I left the car I started to see interesting birds, many of which I continued to see throughout the corner country. There were lots of Black-faced woodswallow and, unusually, Pied honeyeaters. When I first saw the latter I thought I would be lucky to encounter them again. In fact, these were among the most common birds I saw until I once again headed east. Almost everywhere I stopped in this region, I heard the mournful piping calls of these birds. After a quick bite to eat, I decided to head off on the 9.2km return walk to the lake. After a few kilometres, a sign indicated that the lake was actually dry. Despite this, I decided to push on in the hope that the recent rains may have at least partially refilled the lake. During the walk to the lake, I saw Little Crow and White-winged fairy wren. When I finally reached the lake it wasn’t actually dry. However, the 800m diversion to the lake’s bird viewing area seemed to be heading off towards the dry end of the lake, so I didn’t bother. Instead I continued along the track in the opposite direction hoping it would finally approach the lake close enough for me to identify at least some of the numerous waterbirds here. The track never got any closer to the lake, so I finally decided to leave the track and head towards the lake shore. Unfortunately the lake had reduced in size, and it was impossible to get close enough to the water to identify most of the birds, although I did manage to ID Black swan, Black-winged stilt, Glossy Ibis and Grey teal. There were many more birds, but with my mere 7x binoculars I had no hope of finding the Freckled duck or Blue-billed duck I had hoped for. On the return walk I added Southern whiteface to the list.

Instead of camping at Lake Bindegolly as I had originally planned, I chose to push on to Thargomindah for the night. As I pulled into town, I noticed lots of birds flying around the flowering eucalypts by the road. I stopped to have a look, and found dozens of White-browed woodswallows. Later on I took a walk along the river in town, and saw many more of these birds, as well as a few Masked woodswallows among them. There were lots of Black kites around town, and I also saw Blue-faced honeyeater here.

The next day, I continued driving west. At one of the small wetlands along the way, I saw Red-kneed dotterel. I stopped to take in the scenery where the road crossed the Grey Range. Here I saw, in the distance, a pale falcon. My heart racing, I ran alongside the road towards the bird, hoping to get close enough to see if it was a Grey falcon. Unfortunately the bird stayed low, flying from perch to perch, until it eventually disappeared over a ridge. In all that time, it never once turned it’s back to me so I was unable to see if it was a Grey falcon or a pale Brown falcon. I pushed on west until I reached Noccundra. Here I had to make a critical decision about where to go next. I could either head south along the Silver City Highway to Tibooburra, or turn north towards Eromanga. It never occurred to me that heading west towards Innamincka might also be an option in a 2wd car! On the advice of the Noccundra locals I decided to try the road south.

This was the first time in my trip I left the bitumen, and the first 100km was nearly enough to make me change my mind and turn around! The road here heads off into the stony desert, and so rocks form the base of the road. In a vehicle with suitable clearance and some underside protection such as a 4wd, this road would cause no problems. However, with the limited clearance of the station wagon, I soon found that following the wheel tracks of other vehicles was a big mistake! The grinding sound from below as the rocks threatened to disembowel my car was quite alarming! I eventually resorted to driving instead with my wheels on the raised mounds of rocks. This required all my attention, even at 40km or less, so checking the gibber plains for Gibber birds and Inland dotterels was out of the question. In fact, I didn’t see either of these birds during my trip, no doubt due to my concern about driving the roads through this habitat. Things got much better once the road entered the clay-capped dunes, and the road here was actually better than many of the bitumen roads in this area. The rest of the day I spent taking in the scenery on the way to Tibooburra, amazed at the vast open rocky plains and the "jump-up" country. Along the way, I saw Tree Martin and Fairy Martin, as well as more Black-faced woodswallows and Pied honeyeaters. At sunset I headed out to Sunset Hill, where I saw my first Orange chats. In fact, these were quite numerous in the region, particularly on the open stony plains.

Carl Corden
Brisbane, Queensland
Email: