birding-aus

Dogs at Lake Francis?!?

To: "Craig Williams" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Dogs at Lake Francis?!?
From: "Penny Drake-Brockman" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 19:35:15 +1000
Dear All

I can't agree with the statement that we have insufficient space in this
vast continent to enforce restrictions on activities in public land.  There
are miles and miles of beaches - why do the "difficult" dog owners consider
they can have open slaver to all?  Just as why do trail bikers, horse riders
consider they can ride everywhere.

I was brought up in England, southern England at that, and there was
precious little space for anyone to do anything on open country.  Everything
was and is very tightly controlled and walkers on the superb network of
hiking trails are mostly very observant of the rules.

A big problem here in Australia is enforcement. Why do we have signs up
saying No Dogs, No riding, or whatever, and then when someone breaks the
rules, here is absolutely nothing done to stop them, and if as a member of
the public, you point it out, you get threats or crude abuse which makes one
avoid doing anything about the matter.