birding-aus

Re: Trapping Indian Mynas

To: "Philip A. Veerman" <>, "" <>
Subject: Re: Trapping Indian Mynas
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 18:37:42 +1000
Many sincere thanks to Philip and to everyone else who very kindly sent
information on the Indian Mynah Elimination topic. I knew I could rely
on this very helpful list. It will all be in my neighbour's letterbox
tonight.

  Incidentally, the reason I prefer Indian to Common Myna(h) as this
bird's moniker is that it stresses the exotic nature of the species.
There is too much confusion with the native Miner species as it is (not
that the Noisy M. is really very desirable either).

   A surprising number of people have told me at times that 'Foxes are
beautiful native animals (!)' and they likewise sometimes believe that
the 'Common Myna' must also be  native, and that therefore to throw out
a whole sliced loaf every day on the footpath is a virtuous act.

   We MUST publicise the fact that providing bread, wheat and birdseed
is certain to encourage pest bird species. Not to mention rats and mice.
Anthea Fleming