birding-aus

Blue Mountains last weekend

To: <>
Subject: Blue Mountains last weekend
From: "Penny Drake-Brockman" <>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 20:17:32 +1000
Dear Birders

A friend's 50th birthday gave us the excuse to do a little bit of birding in the Blue Mountains last weekend - Evans Lookout to be precise. We stayed at Jenby Rinjah Eco Lodge, beautifully set in the eucalypt forest, and between festivities managed a couple of walks to the Lookout.

There weren't a huge amount of birds present but Rock Warblers were under the parked cars and in the middle of the road, both Sat 4-5 pm and Sunday 8-9 am, together with White-browed Scrubwrens, paying no attention to people, just intent on finding insects. Migrating Yellow-faced and White-naped Honeyeaters were flying over in small groups Sunday morning between 8-9 am, and both days White-eared and New Holland Honeyeaters were easy to see, together with White-throated Treecreepers, Yellow Robins, Grey Shrike-thrush, Crimson Rosellas, Brown and Striated Thornbills, Eastern Spinebills, Red Wattlebirds, Spotted Pardalote, Aussie Ravens and Superb Fairywrens. Satin Bowerbirds were around the cabins together with Pied Currawongs and lots of Crimson Rosellas as the birds are fed each morning at 8.30 am.

Looking down into the Gross Valley from Evans Lookout Sat arvo, we saw another pair of Rockwarblers foraging on a track, and could hear the calls of Bell Miners and Whipbirds echoing up from the dense mass of trees covering the slopes down to the hidden creeks that flowed below.

On the drive home via Bell's Line of Road Sunday 23rd, we had morning tea at Pearce's picnic spot, and were treated to 60-70 Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos foraging and calling and circling over our heads, and a Chestnut-rumped Heathwren popped up to have a look at us. The YTBCs were making a lot of strange noises in addition to the usual funereal calls, chuckles and giggles as described in Pizzey, with some carrying pine cones, and others bumping each other as they flew overhead. A great sight.