birding-aus

Northern Shoveler etc., Werribee today

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Northern Shoveler etc., Werribee today
From: "Simon Mustoe" <>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 18:41:12 +1000
Hi,

Danny Rogers and I had a good day out at Werribee today. Amongst other things, we managed to refind the Northern Shoveler. Unfortunately, I don't yet have the precise location details - it was with a large number of ducks at the far end of a long lagoon (very distant) on the very northern end of the permit access area. I will follow up with a location when we've been able to confirm the lagoon number.

As well as this, there were about 70 Fairy Terns offshore Kirk Pt., and on the mudflats a total of about 300 Red-necked Avocets and the usual assortment of waders. Paradise Road lagoons yielded 5 Glossy Ibis and 2 Cape Barren Geese. Elsewhere on site, 17 Black-tailed Godwits, 4 + 1 Greenshank, several Freckled Duck (first lagoon on entering off Beach Road).

Cheers,

Simon Mustoe.