birding-aus

Dusky Woodswallows (from B Everingham)

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Dusky Woodswallows (from B Everingham)
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 18:48:19 +1000
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
To: <>
Subject: Dusky woodswallows
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 16:41:27 +1000

I was walking with my wife out in Royal National Park, south of Sydney,
this morning and came across some Dusky Woodswallows in the tree tops on
the slope leading down to Kangaroo Creek (off Bottle Forest Trail).
Several were flying in and out but most seem settled. By the time I
reached the creek blow, in about 10 minutes, I looked up and they were
no longer perched. Indeed it appeared that at least forty birds were
hawking the skies, wheeling and soaring and making a splendid sight.

I do not remember such a sizable flock in Royal National Park before but
people on this list with a longer memory might enlighten me. They were
truly stunning.

Incidentally there was also a most obliging Peregrine Falcon in the open
on the ridge line between Uloola Falls and Audley as well. Ah, to be
birding on a Sunday in Sydney!

Brian Everingham
PO Box 269
Engadine