birding-aus

Re: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Albatross race update

To: <>
Subject: Re: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Albatross race update
From: <>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 21:16:23 +1000
> What are the dimensions, weight (with batteries)
> and method of fitting a  transmitter to the
> Albatross?  Is it possible that human
> interference to the birds by placing a
> transmitter on them could be to blame?

This article in "The Age" describes the
transmitters as "tiny"; you can just see the
antenna angling up to the right from the bird's
back:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/04/26/1082831496225.html?from=storyrhs

Here is a better photo, albeit of a different
species and transmitter:
http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/BAS_Science/Techniques/Seabird_studies/image017.jpg

Finally, the official commentary does suggest
that longlining may be to blame for the loss
of "Aphrodite":

-----

Tim Nevard's Commentary

Since my last commentary update, we must
regretfully report that the transmitter on
Jerry Hall's race-leading bird, 'Aphrodite'
(number 8 on the race card), has ceased to
respond. We cannot be sure what has happened
to her, but she was last recorded in the
Indian Ocean in an area where longlining may
occur. Certainly, her last known track was
uncharacteristically short and her signal was
abruptly curtailed.

As in my earlier commentary, we must also
confirm that Frankie Dettori's bird,
'Lucky Seven' (number 16) has died just east
of Pedra Branca, probably as a result of
natural circumstances connected with
poor weather at fledging.

'Paragon' (number 11) has also now been
stationary for several days and has been
suspended from the betting.

On the good news front, 'Xanadu' is still making
good progress, and although 'Styx' is dangling
around the Mewstone, she looks as though she
might soon make a move.

'Ocean Spirit' is still south of Kangaroo Island,
whilst 'Homeland', 'Demi', and 'The Rocket' are
in a head to head north of Kangaroo Island.

Our early leaders, 'Daniphobouska' and 'Monarch
of the Glen' are refuelling in the Australian
Bight.

'Harriet' continues weaving on his anomalous and
erratic way towards Sydney Harbour - maybe a
starring role in this year's Mardi Gras awaits
him!

Paul Taylor