birding-aus

Another albatross race update

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Another albatross race update
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 11:24:24 +1000
More info. from the betting page (reformatted for clarity):
   http://www.ladbrokes.com/bigbirdrace/betting.html

-----

Tim Nevard's Commentary

Unfortunately, the indications are that Frankie Dettori's bird,
'Lucky Seven' has died just east of Pedra Branca.  Last week we
also had to suspend betting on 'Ginny', 'Douglas' and 'Rocky'
(numbers 9, 10 and 13 on the race card), as their signals have
ceased to respond for several days.  'Paragon' (number 11) has
also been stationary close to the Tasman Peninsula on Tasmania's
south east coast for several days and if she does not move soon
may also be suspended.

'Xanadu' is, as we thought might happen, powering away from
Pedra Branca and has taken up a similar heading to 'Aphrodite',
another bird giving us some concern, as her transmitter is
currently not responding from her pelagic position out in the
Indian Ocean.

'Styx' is still dangling around the Mewstone, but if 'Xanadu's'
recent form is in any way indicative, may surprise us with an
opening burst of speed!

'Monarch of the Glen' is still in the Bight, apparently fishing,
but like 'Daniphobouska' may soon turn west.

'Ocean Spirit' is still south of Kangaroo Island, whilst
'Homeland', 'Demi', and 'The Rocket' are in a head to head north
of Kangaroo Island.

'Harriet' is still on his anomalous own sweet way towards
Sydney Harbour - maybe heading for a role in the Mardi Gras!