birding-aus

Swift Parrots at Bateau Bay, NSW Central Coast

To: <>
Subject: Swift Parrots at Bateau Bay, NSW Central Coast
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 10:53:49 +1000
Hi Birders,

For the past two mornings when still lying in bed at about 6.30 am (the Sun
rises at my place about 7.00 am), the first bird that I have heard calling
has been Swift Parrots. So at this point although I had heard them around my
place for four days, I was yet to have actually seen them here. However the
situation was remedied at breakfast when from my balcony I was able to
observe 4 Swift Parrots feeding in blossums of a Blackbutt  Eucalyptus
pilularis in my front garden. Later in the morning there were 8 Swift
Parrots feeding in the adjoining Blackbutt.

My dog is getting a lot of excercise these days as I search the surrounding
strees for more Swifties. Alas, I have yet to find them in the adjoining
streets yet other than at the Bateau Bay shops, opposite Sutton Reserve and
in the same two flowering Swamp Mahogany trees where they have been seen in
since Friday. This morning, there were 22 Swift Parrots along with Rainbow,
Little, Musk and Scaly-breasted Lorikeets! For those people who would like
to see them, the two main trees are in a private house block, second house
from the corner of Bateau Bay Rd & Parkside St Bateau Bay, opposite the
shops and adjacent to Sutton Reserve. You can sit on the seat of the bus
stop and get excellent views!

The most interesting thing about these birds is that they are feeding in the
very same trees at & near Sutton Reserve and my house, where they have been
seen and photographed in the two previous years. Obviously certain big old
trees are favourite trees!

Bateau Bay, the favourite winter palace for the Tasmanian Swift Parrot.

Alan Morris