birding-aus

Bassian Thrush - Lower Blue Mts

To: <>
Subject: Bassian Thrush - Lower Blue Mts
From: "Kathy and Tony Burroughes" <>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 20:57:40 +1000
Small craters have been appearing in my mulched native garden beds over the last week, and on Saturday I identifed the cuplrit(s). A pair of Bassian Thrush have been feeding in my garden (Valley Heights, Lower Blue Mountains, NSW). They are wary, but allowed me to go about my gardening chores only 10 metres from them. It is amazing how well their plumage allows them to blend into the background. We were only alerted to them by the noise they made digging and flicking wood chips about in their quest for bugs and worms. One spent over an hour rooting around right outside my bedroom window, allowing me to have a good close up look.

I previously sighted my first Bassian thrush when one visited my garden last year. Perhaps it was one of the same pair.

Kath